|HOME||FOR AUTHORS||EDITORIAL BOARD||ABOUT WJOMI|
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2023. Novelties in medicine. Cracow Medical Society elects the new Board of Directors.
Nobel Prize. To spotlight the latest medical news, one needs to mention the two highly deserving Nobel Prize Laureates, with unusually extremely swift recognition from the Swedish body, citing the October 2, 2023 Press Release from the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet :
"The Nobel Assembly at the Karolinska Institutet has today decided to award the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine jointly to Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman for their discoveries concerning nucleoside base modifications that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19. The discoveries by the two Nobel Laureates were critical for developing effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 during the pandemic that began in early 2020. Through their groundbreaking findings, which have fundamentally changed our understanding of how mRNA interacts with our immune system, the laureates contributed to the unprecedented rate of vaccine development during one of the greatest threats to human health in modern times."
In my opinion there are many more renowned doctors working in the field - not forgetting e.g. the German married couple Uğur Şahin and Özlem Türeci.
Novelties in medicine. The novelties in medicine of recent times include [2, 3]:
1. Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats (CRISPR) may allow to alter human DNA in an attempt to correct defective genetic coding. CRISPR is a naturally-occurring defence mechanism found in a wide range of bacteria. The future applications may involve neurological and haematological diseases.
2. Non-invasive foetal DNA tests – NIPD & NIPT DNA Sampling may allow to screen for foetal cells in maternal blood and detect over 100 X-linked genetic disorders.
3. Neurovascular stent retrievers for stroke victims with a technology that uses a micro-sized catheter that is inserted through a peripheral vascular incision then threaded through the patient's bloodstream - the microscopic devices are guided through the body until they reach the blood clot and quickly remove the blockage to restore normal blood flow to the affected part of the brain.
4. Proximity ligation assays (PLA) for early cancer detection and screening using Protein Biomarker Analysis using a special class of pharmaceuticals known as receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors. The early protein biomarker analysis primarily focuses on any structural of specific proteins circulating in the blood circulatory system.
5. Treatment options for female hypoactive sexual desire disorder – HSDD. With the FDA approved flibanserin (sold under the name Addyi in the USA ) more options open up for the common affliction in premenopausal women.
6. Non-invasive and minimally invasive remote glucose monitoring for diabetics involving needle-free continuous glucose monitoring which offers patients a uniquely proactive approach to controlling the condition from getting worse by making sure glucose levels stay close to the advised reference range.
7. Advancing mRNA technology to further develop new vaccines.
8. Adapting to AI, remote consultations and treatments.
9. Implementing 3D printing in healthcare to develop models, medical devices, custom implants or joints, prosthetics, skin cells for burn victims and artificial organs as medical technology evolves.
10. Adjusting to wearables and in-home testing, e.g. U-SCAN (Figure 1).
Cracow Medical Society elects the new board of Directors. I have the pleasure to announce the new Board of Directors members of the Cracow Medical Society (pol. Towarzystwo Lekarskie Krakowskie, TLK) selected for another term 2023-2026, starting this year:
Prof. dr hab. Igor Gościński
Prof. dr hab. Aleksander B. Skotnicki
Prof. dr hab. Jacek Składzień
Dr med. Adam Wiernikowski
Dr med. Jarosław Zawiliński
/or right-click and save as.../
Figure 1. U-SCAN. The novel, first hands-free connected home urine lab, that can be paired with a smartphone to monitor various body parameters on a regular basis. Screenshots taken from the manufacturer's website: https://www.withings.com/us/en/u-scan
[please click on the image to enlarge]
Prof. dr hab. Krzysztof Stachura
Prof. dr hab. Artur Jurczyszyn
Dr med. Marzena Ksel-Teleśnicka
Dr med. Józef Janczy
Dr med. Jacek Jonkisz
Dr med. Piotr Kochan
Dr med. Wojciech Skucha
Prof. dr hab. Aleksander Garlicki (Chair)
Dr med. Janina Glazur
Dr med. Krzysztof Szmigiel
Prof. dr hab. Andrzej Wysocki (Chair)
Prof. dr hab. Zdzisław Gajda
Dr med. Jan Iwaszczyszyn
 The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet. Press release 2023-10-02. Access valid on 4 October 2023: https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2023/press-release/
 Regeneration Center of Thailad. Top 8 Medical Breakthroughs in 2023. Access valid on 4 October 2023: https://stemcellthailand.org/top-medical-breakthroughs/
 Merrit Hawkins. 8 Medical Innovations in 2023. Access valid on 4 October 2023: https://www.merritthawkins.com/news-and-insights/blog/healthcare-news-and-trends/top-medical-innovations/
Conflict of interest: PK is the Board of Directors Member of Cracow Medical Society (Członek Zarządu, Towarzystwo Lekarskie Krakowskie)
To cite this article: Kochan P. The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2023. Novelties in medicine. Cracow Medical Society elects the new Board of Directors. World J Med Images Videos Cases 2023; 9:e36-38.
Published on: 4 October 2023
Our website may require cookies.
Using our internet pages,
you agree for these cookies to be used
according to current legal regulations.
If you do not agree, please do not use our website!
© 2023 WJOMI